Thursday, October 11, 2012

Knockout Pepper Spray review

This is a review of the Knockout Pepper Spray - a great self defense tool for women and a must-have in present times. A pepper spray is a nonlethal aerosol spray that causes temporary blindness and potential burning/irritation of skin and mucous membranes. It is used to disable an attacker, giving you time to run away and save yourself. In Boxing, 'knockout' means to defeat an opponent. 
Knockout Pepper Spray Review

Knockout Pepper Spray Review
Price: INR 399
Quantity: 35 gms
Also available in a keychain and plastic-clip packing variations.

INGREDIENTS:

The active ingredient mentioned on a pepper spray can is Oleoresin Capsicum (OC). Oleoresin Capsicum is extracted from crushed capsicum and its main constituents are capsaicin and capsanthin. Therefore, the actual thing that causes the stingy burning sensation is 'Capsaicin'.
Ever chopped green chillies? Remember the burning that remains if you happen to touch your face later, even after washing hands with soap. Well, that is nothing as compared to the burning sensation caused by a pepper spray. Capsaicin is so hot that a single drop diluted in 100,000 drops of water will produce a blistering of the tongue.
Knockout Pepper Spray Ingredients

HOW TO USE?

Always carry the pepper spray with you in your handbag or purse. When you are in a dangerous situation and cannot figure a way out immediately, use this to buy time. 
  • Shake the can to activate the spray
  • aim the nozzle towards the attacker
  • spray directly in his face/eyes
  • As easy as spraying a deo or perfume
Even a half second spray (you heard it right, half-second) is good enough to incapacitate the attacker. While he is struggling with it, you get time to figure your way out or to run for help.
How to use Knockout Pepper Spray

How to use Knockout Pepper SprayHow to use Knockout Pepper Spray
EFFECTIVENESS?

Effective upto 8 Feet. Meaning even if you spray at someone from 8 ft distance, the jet will still reach the attacker and affect him. In fact, it can be used on a group of attackers too. The whole can empties out in 9 seconds, so you need to be really quick and not lose your wits.

HOW LONG DOES THE EFFECT LAST?

The can says the effect lasts for 30-45 minutes, but from personal experience, the burning lasts up to some 7 hours.

HOW DOES PEPPER SPRAY WORK?

The pepper spray works immediately. It causes excessive burning in the eyes leading to temporary blindness. The spray that enters the nose through breath badly irritates the mucous membranes of the nose causing unbearable burning. The spray that lands up on the skin irritates and burns the skin badly for 30-45 min and then it starts toning down.

IS IT LEGAL TO CARRY AND KEEP A PEPPER SPRAY?


AVAILABILITY:

Pepper sprays are now easily available online at medplusbeauty.com, healthkart.com, safetykart.com. Google search for other websites. Easily available at most chemist shops.

Other Brands in India: Cobra, Chilliguard. You can search on the internet for more brands. 

THE STORY BEHIND MY PEPPER SPRAY CAN
image courtesy gapingvoid.com

One Sunday evening in 2010, I alone went shopping to Rajouri Garden in New Delhi. There are 4-5 adjoining shopping malls in that area. I was pleasantly surprised to find Delhi Police guarding the area around the Rajouri Garden Metro Station, as Commonwealth Games were just a few days away. I was travelling the next day and after finishing shopping some essentials, I realized it was already 8:30 PM. It was a little late for me to be out. But because I was just 10 min metro ride away from my home, I didn't panic.

While I was walking from the Shoppers Stop Mall towards The Metro Station, there was a small strip of road, just 20-25 steps from the Metro Station. It was a shady portion with no light and construction going on. A 40+aged man passed by me on a bike and muttered something. I couldn't hear the words but 'felt' he said something to me. I looked ahead and saw the same man standing 5 steps from the Metro Station. He pretended to be talking on the phone when I happened to notice he was watching me from the bike's mirror. This made me a little uneasy and subconsciously my hand went into my handbag to take out my phone... and what reached my hand was this Knockout Pepper Spray Can. I shook the can a little within the handbag itself and held it in position. I still kept thinking I might be mistaken but there was no harm in being prepared.

The moment I was passing by him, he tried to physically attack and phsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss went the pepper spray in his face. When in such a situation, your heart is racing madly and you lose count of time. I could NOT figure out half a second as mentioned on the spray can, but I sprayed some good 3-4 seconds. He was hiding his face behind a helmet with visor open but it rather helped me aim his eyes. It still gives me a real high when I remember his face expression at that moment. He got the SHOCK errr I mean the SPRAY of his LIFE and tried to control his bike to run away. Because he got blinded immediately, he happened to land on the road divider and fell badly along with his bike. A few drops of the spray reached my skin while spraying and I realized when I felt burning on my hands. It remained for a good 7 hours and made me very happy that his eyes and face would have stung for that much time too, with a higher intensity.

Shamefully, it all happened right in front of Delhi police and they still couldn't notice a thing. When I went and asked them what kind of duty they are doing, the policeman asked me what happened, why didn't I call them. Shame shame Delhi Police and Hip hip Hurray Pepper Spray!

I had bought it and it kept lying in my bag for months and I had almost forgotten I had one. I was lucky that it was in my handbag that day, and that I was in a crowded place. When I disabled the attacker, my confidence returned within a few seconds, though my heart was throbbing for the next 2 hours. But God forbid, when in such a situation, NEVER lose your calm, no matter how scared you are. 

Stay safe, stay happy!

27 comments:

  1. Wow..gagan I m so proud of u..bra've gal..
    Very informative post...thanx for posting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tejinder dear. We are Punjabi tigresses and not born to be afraid.

      Delete
  2. Thats so brave of you my dear!!
    Hope i had a pepper spray with me the day some one snatched my bag and i lost some valuable things.:(
    I think that key chain one would be great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. Aww that's really bad and I know how it feels coz in Delhi it was all so common. You can get the keychain one from healthkart.com.

      Delete
    2. I will for sure get it.:)
      can tell you how bad i had to suffer since that bag not only had my bank cards but my ID proofs as well and till now i am struggling to make new voter and pan card. :(
      i think you should be there with me at that time.:) :)

      Delete
    3. Aww my dear, the mere feeling of losing one's wallet is enough to shake you and even though you can still get the PAN card made through Axis bank or any investments agent/broker, the Voter ID card is actually gonna be a pain. My wallet was also once stolen from Rajouri Metro Station but then someone got it from that women gang and phoned me and returned it. God forbid you ever have to go through it again. I wish I had known you earlier!

      Delete
  3. Yay! Women fighting back! Thanks for sharing your story - this reminds me that I need to buy a bottle of this for my purse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Yay! I see you are in Delhi too, so definitely need to keep one. It's really a shame Delhi men treat girls worse than animals. How can they take away from someone, the right to walk on the road even to go get some essentials? Time to fight back!

      Delete
  4. Atta girl. We need a few of those in Hyderabad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chetna :) What an honor to know you read my blog!

      Delete
  5. Wow!!! Impressive post Gagan :)
    Hats off to u for fighting the situation ! Kudos !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ruby. Staying and moving alone in Delhi, you have no choice but to fight. Sadly, the situation is not much better even in small cities.

      Delete
  6. first of all, i appreciate ur presence of mind because in such situations, sometimes our mind just doesn't work... then a big thanks for this review...wanted to get a pepper spray for long but always wondered if it would work... and this is not a cream or lotion that u can apply, test and then review.... in ur case, u could test out all aspects and again thanks for this review..... it will be very helpful to many girls and even elderly people.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome my dear. Yeah, you are right, this is actually a great product for the elderly too, given the present warped minds of the youth.

      Delete
  7. Hi Gaganpreet
    very informative post :May i know do you write blog for others.If u, can you write blog For Viviana (Cosmetic Brand).we provide you a beauty gift hamper from Viviana .if you are interested please contact me at this email id feelnshare@vivianaindia.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha.. This made my day! I keep pepper spray too but never got to use it lol. I'm a new follower!

    www.glamdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shivani, and count it as a blessing if you didn't get to use it yet :) Visited your blog. Can't see you in the followers list anywhere.

      Delete
  9. Awesome!!!...made my day...I'm all about kicking the 'grabber dudes' in the balls...just in case i have no pepper spray on me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in the same league then :) Bravo Girl! I like that attitude.

      Delete
    2. dear gagan,,kudos to ur bravery ,,i was confused to buy which one for my gf and sis..there r two brands knockout nd cobra.which one u recomend????

      Delete
    3. Dear Anonymous: Thanks for your question and I respect your thoughtfulness towards the safety of your loved ones. I checked thoroughly and either of them would be a good choice, no difference except in packing and price. Buy the one which you get at lower price and latest packing. Can get from a pharmacy or chemist shop too.

      I am listing a few good to know points for you:)

      1. Knockout comes in

      - keychain packing: smaller, effective up to 6 ft, lower emission rate, no protection for accidental spray

      - belt clip packing (I RECOMMEND): larger, effective up to 8 ft, higher emission rate. The pump is hooded to prevent accidental spray (see 2nd pic above). Quantity 55ml, Weighs 35gms

      2. Cobra comes in

      - Magnum (I RECOMMEND):effective up to 8 ft, higher emission rate, the Can empties in 9 sec. Quantity 55ml, Weighs 35gms. The Can can be locked to prevent accidental spray. But again all depends on not loosing presence of mind to unlock it first, in a critical situation.
      COSTLIER than Knockout by Rs 100, check online for discounts.

      -Magnum Pro: Haven't seen in Indian market
      -Standard: Haven't seen in Indian market. Effective up to 6ft, can empties in 20 sec due to lower emission.

      Hope this helps you choose!

      Delete
    4. Agree with you completely.....Knockout Pepper Spray is a great product...i feel really safe carrying it...the Knockout key chain pepper spray is very handy and effective

      Delete
    5. Reallyy informative, thanxx cuz i was searching it to gift it to my girlfriend.

      Delete
    6. Yeah it would make for a very sensible gift :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks a lot. I was planning to get this for my friend who works late and guess this would be a gr8 gift for her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.

      God forbid anyone ever needs to use it, but it sure does give you the confidence when out at late hours and a HUGE sense of security. I still carry it with me when I go out.

      Delete

Comments will be visible once I approve them manually.

Anonymous comments will not be answered. So either use a profile or the Name/URL option to comment (can leave the URL box blank).

In Google Chrome, you can tick mark the 'Notify Me' box in the bottom right to get notified when I reply to your comment.