Monday, May 12, 2014

Bübchen Baby Shampoo Review: Best Sulphates Free Shampoo

Today I am happy to share that I have finally found an excellent sulphates-free shampoo which works awesome for every hair type, which is ideal for both kids and adults and which does not wash out hair color either. Nor is it that heavy on the pocket. Presenting to you all, the review of Bübchen Baby Shampoo, which I discovered on Flipkart.com some time ago.



Bübchen is a German baby care brand which is a sub-brand of Nestlé since 1983. Bübchen makes baby hair and skin care products based on natural ingredients like nourishing herbal oils combined with chamomile and calendula.


Bübchen Baby Shampoo is a mild sulphates free formulation containing Chamomile Extract. This shampoo is soap-free, pH Balanced, has no artificial Colorants and contains plant-based Surfactants. It is ideal for all hair types right from virgin hair to rebonded, bleached, color-treated or Hennaed hair. It is also suitable for sensitive or damaged scalp.


Quantity: 200 ml
Price: INR 325
Shelf Life: 30 Months
Made in Germany




Bübchen Baby Shampoo is a yellowish transparent gel which smells of chamomile. It is neither thick nor too runny. It does not foam like crazy but produces good lather. It lathers better on oiled hair and cleans out oil in just one go.


On dry unoiled hair, sometimes it doesn't spread easily. I dilute it with a little water and then pour it in my scalp in different areas while patting with my other hand. This way it spreads easily. Please do NOT use more quantity just to produce lather as initially this may not lather much. But with every use, your hair will adapt to it more and more.

How I Ended Up with a Baby Shampoo?


After Organic Surge discontinued its original Color Protect shampoo, I hoarded the last few bottles available on online stores and had been surviving on them since then. But as I kept receiving inquiries for a good sulphates-free shampoo, I didn't have anything to suggest to you guys. Finally landed up on Soultree Licorice Hair Repair Shampoo, which worked well and many of you purchased that. It was costly and I needed more quantity as compared to other shampoos, so I didn't repurchase it.

I was about to hit my last bottle of Organic Surge and was still searching for an ideal (color protect) shampoo side by side. During this time I bought Bübchen Baby Shampoo for my son and noticed a little hair fall in the first use. It alarmed me and I ended up trying it on myself to check on the hair fall thing. But this accident turned into a blessing and I found my best shampoo so far.

Bübchen Baby Shampoo Ingredients:


Aqua, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Laureth-3, Glycerin, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Sodium C 14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Panthenol, Sodium Chloride, Chamomilla Recutita Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum, Citric Acid, Tocopherol.

Sodium C 14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (also known as Alpha Olefin Sulphonate) is the surfactant or cleaning agent in this shampoo. It is derived from coconuts but just like SLES (also derived from coconuts), there is debate around this ingredient. Despite all I have heard and read, my personal experience has been that:

  1. SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) works worst on my hair, turning my hair ends into unimaginably tangled knots.
  2. SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate /Sodium lauryl ether sulfate) which is naturally derived from Coconuts is comparatively milder on my hair. Though it dries my hair ends a little, it does not tangle my hair ends into knots.
  3. Sodium C 14-16 Olefin Sulfonate/ Alpha Olefin Sulphonate gave great results on my hair, even though I had heard that it overcleans and damages hair.
Cocamidopropyl Betaine is another coconut derived surfactant in this shampoo and you will find it in many other mild shampoos.

Phenoxyethanol and Sodium Benzoate are preservatives here.

My Experience with Bübchen Baby Shampoo:

On first use on my son's hair, I noticed an instant thickening of hair strands when I was still rubbing it in his scalp. But I noticed 5-6 hair strands that came out while rinsing out the shampoo. This worried me and I decided to try it myself before using for him a second time. During my first use, I experienced exactly same results: a little hair fall but shinier thicker and voluminous hair that were silky soft and much easier to comb.

I use a special natural hair coloring method and even the bestest of shampoos cause some color bleed/fade. But Bübchen Baby Shampoo did not wash out my color, which was surprising. There was negligible color when rinsing out and that too from the color residue on my scalp.



I have used 3 more times after that and a few times on my son too and the results are great. It delivers on all its claims.
  • There has been no hair fall after the first use.
  • Hair are shinier, thicker and easy to comb.
  • Leaves scalp very fresh and clean
  • Leaves hair soft and conditioned. No need of a separate conditioner at all.
  • Easily cleans oil from hair and scalp without drying
  • Does not burn on the scalp or skin
  • Has a soothing Chamomile scent though the ingredients list says there is some perfume in it. Those who don't know camomile fragrance may feel it smells like medicine :)
  • Ideal for both kids and adults.
  • Ideal for all hair types and sensitive scalp too
  • Doubles up as a great color protect shampoo (at least that has been my experience)
You can buy Bübchen Baby Shampoo from Flipkart.com or Babyoye.com. This shampoo is also available internationally.

If you want to use it for your kid, please read the review on my Kid's Blog here.

24 comments:

  1. Hey angel Hw u..nyc review but im still confused.earlier i was using soultree licorice shampoo but later I strted facin hairfall den I shifted to pitanjali milk protien shampoo whch was not too gud nt dat bad.dear my hair luks very thin cant even do a pony plz hlp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you faced hair fall after using the Soultree shampoo, then actually you should have shared that feedback Preity. Rather you unliked my page and I didn't hear from you for very long and I kept thinking you are busy. The soultree one was bought by an unexpected number of people and every single one wrote to me and shared that they liked it and the hair fall has reduced. Personally even I had a little left and used it a few weeks ago to get over with it. So in your case, there definitely is something else or some internal reason that could be causing the hairfall. Did you see a doc or got your harmones checked if it is that bad?

      I do know some people who faced severe hair fall with the Milk Protein Shampoo. And if your scalp has become sensitive, then no sulphates based shampoo would suit.

      You need to share your current hair care routine and what all products / oils you are currently using for me to be able to help and if you are still using Henna and Indigo.

      Delete
  2. Gagan ! I can't thank you enough for this great discovery coz after you suggested i stopped SLS / SLES based shampoos altogether and came down to using OS colour protect which as u said did wonders to my hair. So, now am absolutely averse to SLS based shampoos. As always, am sure this input from you will prove to be extremely helpful. Thanks a ton for all the pains that you take ...... i feel grateful again and again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much Seema and also thanks for letting me know you have already gone ahead and purchased it. Hope it does good to your hair. I had started using it just to check but now I am using it regularly :) Same here, OS color protect shampoo was a real life turner. But finally we have a replacement and cheaper too.

      Delete
  3. I was waiting for this review! Thank you so much for posting your experience with the shampoo, definitely seems like a great discovery. I was wondering if you have used Chicco No Tears Shampoo? If so then is it good enough for adults?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deepika, I have tried many products from Chicco but not their shampoo because. All the products in their Baby Moments range have the same perfume which is on the higher side. Also, the products in this range initially gives a little allergy to my little one, so I didn't venture into the shampoo. Plus even though it claims to have no SLS/SLES there surely are some good chemical ingredients in there. It's watery too. Bubchen is FAR better than that and even Pigeon Baby Shampoo gives good results but again has a good number of preservatives and EDTA and what not.

      Delete
    2. And thanks for reading the review. It surely is good and you won't need a conditioner after using this :)

      Delete
  4. Wow ur review came on the right time Gagan! I am definitely gonna try this shampoo. Lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megha. Yeah I see you have been trying a good number of shampoos in the recent past. You are surely going to like the results, please do share whenever you get this one :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! I have been waiting for this post Gagan. :)
    It just came at the right time. I am buying it right away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ordered this shampoo and I am so excited to try it (And kudos to FK yet again for shipping it within six hours!!) Thank you once again for sharing about the shampoo. Really hope it fares well on my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh wow..Found the super amazing product here!! baby shampoo!! aha!! Love it :) Its mild baby shampoo which has natural active and caring ingredients which will love my babys skin. Also minimizes the skin allergies. My babys safety is must and first priority and this Bubchen baby shampoo will take care all....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Gaganpreet..How are you?

    Need to know whether this works for dandruff as well.

    Thanks,
    Satej

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Satej, sorry for the late reply. I am suffering from backache and spending very less time on the comp.

      Only one person (a doctor from delhi) had dandruff issues and he had given feedback that it relieved his itchy scalp. Apart from this, you can add/mix a few drops of tea tree essential oil to your shampoo each time or to the Henna.

      Delete
  9. hye Gaganpreet..thanks a lot for this awesome discovery..this really is the best shampoo ive used so far..it delivers on all fronts,be it hair loss,hair shine,hair consistency,being mild on hair,etc etc..thanks once again for your efforts which benefit us so much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking out time and sharing this useful feedback Dr Yasir. I am glad your gave it a try and that it worked for you.

      Delete
  10. Hi Gagan,

    You have got a wonderful blog up here, helping so many people. GOD Bless!
    I always worry about my hair since it is dry, thin and lot of greys too. I am 34. I have premature greying and its in genes. I am currently using soapnut powder for shampooing. I am scared to use chemical shampoos as they dont take much time to turn my hair grey.Whenever I try a new shampoo, I have observed that I get a lot more greys than before.
    I just wanted to know if I can start using bubchen shampoo and not worry about getting more greys.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gagan,
    I have been reading your blog all morning. And found this perfect shampoo at the right time.
    Ian so glad I came across your blog during my research for natural hair colours. Since then I have purchased henna and indigo from you and am very happy with the results. Was looking for a sulphates free shampoo and my search ends here.
    Thank you for such detailed reviews. They inspire so much trust in me. Am definitely buying this shampoo.
    Thank you. God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vandana, thanks for reading and trusting my reviews. Got your email too. Actually Bubchen was never replenished in the market after Nov 2014. The stock I was purchasing from Flipkart had an expiry date of Jan and Mar 2015. So I called up the number on the bottle and came across the person who was importing it in India. I had several detailed conversations with them and shared my concern about near expiry products. At that time they told me they are targeting hospitals directly so parents can buy their products for their new borns but that they are also coming up with their own website and it would no longer be available on any other website. But seems the business failed in India because after that neither their website came up nor did I find new stock anywhere. Also they had lied to me that new stock is not available in Germany when they were selling new stock in the US and Singapore. To cut it short, this shampoo is no longer available in India. Kindly check the other options I had shared in my email.

      regards,

      Delete
  12. Hi Gagan,
    Whenever I look for this shampoo, it's out of stock in FK and now its unavailable in Babyoye too. Is there any other site from where I can purchase this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sowmya, this shampoo is no longer available in India for a year now. Kindly read the details in the comment right above yours. I had contacted their marketing team as it was no longer available on online stores and they had told me that going forward they will be selling it only on their own upcoming website. But the site never came and also the new stock was never brought into the market. They might have their own reason but this brand is gone. I recently found cetaphil selling a baby shampoo with the same formulation, same bottles and their own stickers but the price is close to Rs 1200. It is possible that they might have sold over the formulation to another brand. But I guess Bubchen is still selling in the US and Singapore and a few other countries.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I missed to read the previous comment.

      Delete
    3. No sweetie you didn't miss it :) I answered both comments the same day and didn't want to copy paste the same text in both comments. Hope the answer helped.

      Delete
  13. hi Gagan, I have been following your henna and indigo advice for almost an year.... its great and only facing problem with shampoo....this shampoo was not available and so for time being using Ramdev baba shampoo... its ok but my hair is rough. should I try baubchen or soultree shampoo?
    I've tried messaging earlier too...but never got accepted! let me see this time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be visible once I approve them manually.

Anonymous comments will not be answered. So either use a profile or the Name/URL option to comment (can leave the URL box blank).

In Google Chrome, you can tick mark the 'Notify Me' box in the bottom right to get notified when I reply to your comment.